October 31, 2009

The Piano Man/Pumpkin

Jamie invited me the other night to come to her church and hear a piano concert. I asked Juny (my friend from hiking) to join us, and the 3 of us walked to her church about 15 minutes from my apartment. The pianist was originally from Jamaica and then America. His music was Christian hymns with a jazz flare. It was really beautiful and uplifting. His heart was completely immersed in playing for God's glory, and it was amazing to see that. We all really enjoyed it, and got to spend some time at the end talking to the pianist and his friends since I speak English and my friends speak well also.

At the end of the night, Jamie and I were both hungry, so her mom offered to make us ramyon at her house! Yay!! It was really nice to meet her parents and spend more time with them. They're really kind and also very generous people. Her dad gave me a box of tea from Sri Lanka, and her mom gave me a bunch of fruit. They invited me over for chicken baked in a pumpkin some time next week, so that should be kind of fun and interesting :)

Speaking of pumpkins, Jamie and I picked out a small pumpkin, and I hollowed it out the other day. My knife was too big, so I ended up just making a bunch of triangle holes around the top in order to let oxygen in and light out. Then of course cut the top off. I brought it into school on Friday to celebrate Halloween in a small way, and the students were amazed that I'd done that. It was so funny how they asked how I made it and to see their expressions. They didn't know people could actually carve pumpkins, and none of them had ever seen/done it in their lives. They wanted to keep the lights off during class so they could watch the pumpkin glow. Cute!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, Things we take for granted such as carving a pumpkin for Halloween. I'm suer your students thought that was really cool when it was lit and the lights were out.

    ReplyDelete