October 3, 2009

Chuseok Weekend

Today is Chuseok, a Lunar Festival Holiday, similar in celebration to American Thanksgiving. It's a big family day, so listening out my window, it's pretty quiet. Not much going on outside. Many families have a big lunch and dinner together as well as paying respects to their ancestors.

Since Chuseok falls on a Saturday this year, we got Friday off work! It was nice to have a day to relax and choose to do what I wanted. Of course, I love hiking, so there were 5 of us all ready to go...ended up being just 2 of us, but that's ok. Juny, who I went hiking with, is a friend and student of Brian (my coworker) and works in the English Zone, so I've gotten to know him a bit too. It was really great getting to have lots of time to talk together. Turns out he likes a lot of the same things that I do! So that was pretty cool. Plus, he was a huge help and encouragement on the hard trail we chose. We had a really awesome time hiking!! We scaled rocks like lizards, climbed down steep hills with ropes, and got lost on our way down (hmm...why do I always get lost when going down??...). But it was a great time!

After getting home, we went out for chicken stir-fry which was really good (but spicy). I then had about an hour to clean up and get ready for the next part of the day...going to meet Heesung!!
Heesung had invited me over to see what a typical Chuseok meal was like. Because it's a big family holiday, I was able to meet some of his family which was pretty cool. His brother was there from China, he had an aunt, uncle, and cousins, and of course his parents. It was really, really neat to see a Korean family together. Obviously people are people, and we all are the same. But culturally, I was honored to be invited into their home. His 13 year old cousin speaks really good English, so we hit it off pretty well. For dinner we had boiled beef, kimchi that his mom made, japchae (sweet-potato noodles and vegetables), a soybean stew, and lots of fruit. It was neat to feel like part of their family, very comfortable people to be around. I hope that when I have people over that they feel natural around me as well.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I want go to mountain !
    ㅠ_ㅠ You have a nice time.
    Next time, I try to climbing !
    See u monday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time you had on your Korean Thanksgiving! We're so glad you're getting into the culture. We hope your cold gets better and you have a good rest of the weekend. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed looking at your pretty face and scenery Amy, it looks like you're having a really nice time over there! It makes me think of when we went out picking blackberry's behind my house only we didn't have the mountains...we had the side of my house and the barn! I hope and pray that you stay well and get better from your sore throat. Do you miss your little puppies? They are so cute. Shadow snuck under one of your grandma Barb's lacy pillows and has her head under another one. We will send you a picture. Smokey didn't hear me when I came into the house and when she saw me walk past her bed I must have scared her because she started barking and growling at me and it was loud enough that I could hear her right behind my heels! Remember when I stayed at your house and she was on your bed growling at me when I came back from the bathroom in the middle of the night? That little stinker! Laddy says woof woof. He knows how to play London Bridge now with my legs. He's so funny sometimes. We love you very much and miss you but we are praying you are having a very good time. Have fun with your dad in Oct when he comes to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Glad to hear you had a good time. We celebrate the same holiday back in China, it's one of my favorite holiday. Miss you Amy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, the last pic of your friend is so cool!!!You are great to choose a tough trail :) And I wonder if you said say to Heesang for me, haha. It is so good that you could go to his home and enjoy the traditional festival with them. Now you can understand how appreciated Steven and I were when we were invited to your parents' home for the Thanksgiving!

    Take care and have a good time! We both miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy;
    Loved the pictures & glad you were able to join HeeSung & his family for dinner. Sounds like a lot different than our traditional turkey dinner.
    Take care & remember I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete