December 26, 2009

Christmas Morning

Christmas morning, I went down to visit my Korean family and bring them a Christmas card. They made me some buns with bean inside. It was kind of neat how they cooked them in a steam pan so the outsides were chewy and cool and the inside was really hot. After saying goodbye and Merry Christmas, I went up to talk to my family on Skype. I was SOOO happy to talk to Holly and my parents both!!!

I opened presents and got lots of nice things that will be very useful now that it's getting really cold out. Liz Charpie came over for lunch, and I introduced her to my family who were really, really excited to meet her (they couldn't stop talking about it today) :) It was cute. And then we headed to see the Nutcracker Ballet!!

We were the only foreigners there, but they were kind enough to say "Don't use cameras/video" over the loudspeakers. Bummer!! I was hoping to use the "I don't speak Korean...I don't understand" card and try to sneak a few pictures. Oh well. It was beautiful!! It was so interesting to see the Korean spin on the original. There was one part where there were a few countries represented, and it was so cool to see how they introduced those countries through dance. I figured out the Spanish one by the fingers snapping in the air, and the Korean one with the traditional costume (only cut shorter) with taekwando moves, but other than that, I would have had little idea other than from the costume.

I still didn't figure one out...It was a costume that had a big dot in the middle and kind of looked like a clown with the bright colors and wide/yet short skirt. They had round rosy circle cheeks. They were dancing with their pointer fingers in the air going up and down...If you can figure it out, I'll buy you an ice cream. I've been thinking about it all weekend :) Anyway, the ballet was really fun, and having front-row tickets ended up being a really great choice.

On the way back to the subway to head downtown, we took these pictures:
Strange/neat looking day-care center
Beautiful sky!!
A national cemetery we found while walking to the subway (ended up taking an hour to walk from one subway station to the next...)
The mounds in the background are the burial sites

No comments:

Post a Comment