December 8, 2009

Dreams coming true

Well, I haven't found my true love yet... :) But I have had a few exciting last couple of days!

Saturday morning I woke up to a beautiful snow-covered mountain outside my window! It was so refreshing to see, and even more wonderful when it started snowing later. It's snowed here probably 4-5 times this year, but it hasn't stuck at all. So seeing white ground was thrilling!
Saturday afternoon, I met my Children's Center coworkers and supervisor to go to Apkujeong. It's a really nice, ritzy area of Seoul that has a lot of fun places to eat and hang out!! We walked through blowing snow for 15 minutes or so to a small little restaurant called Smokey's Saloon. Small restaurant, big taste!! They feature 15 or so different kinds of burgers (American style), so we chose 3 different kinds and tried parts of everyone's. YUM!!

It was so cold on the walk back to the subway that we stopped for tea and coffee. The guy who helped us at the coffee shop was so kind-and handsome-and definitely didn't fit any Korean stereotype. He was really tall, bigger built, and didn't seem to be obsessed with his appearance. Ah, I wish I spoke Korean...Oh well, now I have something to do during the next 2 months off teaching. I teach a winter intensive class for 3 weeks starting this Tuesday, and after that I don't have to teach until March! I'm really looking forward to studying Korean enthusiastically!! I can't wait!!

Ok...so on to my "dream coming true". Whenever I go to meet my Korean mom, I have a weird desire to make Korean food myself. Not at home, but in the restaurant. I've thought many times of asking to watch her make the food when we're alone, but I've never had the courage (even though I think she'd be happy that I asked). So Sunday night I was the only one in the restaurant with her, and I was helping her prepare some crab meat for the next day. It was so fun helping her, and I know it helps her out as well as lets me have something to talk to her about. So...I wanted to try something more exciting...and I started my plan and asked to order kimbap. She stood up to make one for me, and I followed her to watch over her shoulder :) They make the kimbap at the front of the store in front of the window, so it wasn't awkward or weird or anything for me to watch. She made one, and after seeing that I was watching her more closely than normal, she smiled and put her sanitary gloves on my hands. I was so happy!!! I tried my best to spread the rice evenly over the seaweed, but quickly realized that it's a lot harder than it looks...Oh well. She laughed and helped me out. I put some egg, cucumber, radish, carrot, and mushroom inside and then rolled it up. I think that the only part I was actually good at was the rolling :)

She could tell I was really happy, and in the midst of my excitement I searched for the right words to say in simple English...what could I say that could communicate that I had watched her do that for so long and I always wanted to try? The words came out how my students typically communicate just that... "It was my dream!!" Haha!! I must have sounded so funny. Making kimbap is something very simple to Koreans...but very intricate to me. Here's a picture of my handiwork!! Very beautiful if I do say so myself :) "Yepbuda" as they say in Korean!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Amy that sure looks interesting, but not too appatizing, but I'd be willing to try it-only because YOU made it. Sounds like you need to make a few more trips back to that restaurant where that mystery man was..Thanks for doing the blog, I watch it everyday. I love & miss you, grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    You make me cry and laugh at the same time. I wish to be your Mom there to help you and hold you. I am thankful you have a Korean mom that helps you in the tough times and helpful in having you try your hand at making Korean food. The wrap looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you were here too, mom. But I'm happy to know that this is where God wants me now. So no matter how I feel, I'm happy to know He's put good people in my life here to help me out.

    PS: Even though I do have a Korean "mom", no one can replace my real mom!!

    ReplyDelete