December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

In class New Years Eve, we were talking about resolutions. Going around the classroom, there were the typical, "I want to loose weight," "I want to study harder," etc. My favorite one though, was when we started talking about Christian resolutions.

My resolution...are you ready for it??...is to write the New Testament in a year. Maybe not super exciting, but I've already started, and it's such a great way to stimulate my reading each word. Already, I've read things that I didn't notice before, just because I wasn't necessarily looking at details.

Well, after sharing my resolution with the class, one student looked at me and said, "I have an English Bible. Your voice is very beautiful. Have you ever thought about reading the Bible in one year?" I said that I have read through the Bible before, but not out loud. With complete sincerity and seriousness, he said, "Amy, your New Year's resolution is to record the Bible with your voice. Then you'll give it to me so I can hear the Bible in English. It's not impossible." I said that I wasn't so sure about that, but he kept saying that it wasn't impossible and I must do it for him.

Haha. Kind of funny, but I felt bad at the same time. Another student said yesterday that the Korean Bible is very difficult to understand, and there is no easy version. I guess there are only 3-4 versions of the Bible in Korean, and my students say they're all pretty difficult (older language translated from a Chinese version). He wants to read the Bible, but feels like he can't. He said that he hopes someone translates the Bible into understandable Hangul (Korean language). I felt so sad that there are still people in countries filled with churches who don't feel they have access to understanding the Bible. I'm happy to teach students who desire to learn about God more. Before, I was a little disappointed not to have a class this winter with more Bible students, but I'm seeing God's plan for my teaching these specific students too.

1 comment:

  1. You do have a beautiful voice and recording the Bible for your student in English would be great. Maybe another New Years Resolution for you!!!!I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete