February 4, 2010

100th Post

Wow, my 100th post!! :)

Today was really great. Even though it was a little slow, a lot happened. 1st, I got to go textbook shopping with KBU's credit card! Yay!! I needed new textbooks for planning a beginner-level course and syllabus. Now that that's done, I can start preparing. When Sujin and I were at the bookstore, she got me a hot chocolate which I must say was the best hot chocolate I've ever had in my entire life!! I don't know what was in it, but it was delicious.

After the bookstore, I had lunch with one of the school professors and pastors. He and his wife were very understanding and encouraging with my situation. I am starting to hate saying things about "the situation" to people, but when they are in positions to help, I can't avoid asking for it. But we talked about a lot of things, one being that he wants to study with his son at Jerusalem University College!! Wow!! I went there :) It was so neat having something in common to talk about. Small world.

Twice I've been "invited" on official college outings. Once was right after this discussion. Apparently a few professors take a trip to the Holy Lands once every 2 years, and this happens to be one of those years. I said what an exciting opportunity that would be, and he said that if things came through that I could come along! I probably wouldn't be technically invited because I'm not a Bible professor or speak Korean, but the invite was so kind and generous! Also, last week I was out with another professor who said he was going with a few professors to the border of North Korea and China to hike up Baekdu Mountain! I was so excited for him because I've heard so much about that mountain. On the top is a lake that has a superstition around it. Supposedly a water creature similar to Loch Ness lives there!! He said that I could come if I had the time! Wow!! Who knows if any of this will happen, but just to be invited to things is such an encouragement to me. It's hard to get involved in other professors' lives, but now that I'm getting to know them more, it's been a really enriching time. I feel like I'm starting to become part of a community with them.

Going back to my room after lunch was boring, but a student popped in quickly to remind me of our meeting tomorrow. I and 2 students who went to DC are meeting to talk about their time. I'm really excited to hear about their thoughts and impressions, but a little nervous as I've heard some of them didn't have quite the time they thought they would have. But oh well, we'll see. Anyways, the student came in with a present for me! It was a little keychain thing (I put it on my phone) that had a metal picture of New York and my name on the bottom. It was so sweet that he'd thought of me while he was there, and it made me happy to see him again. I can't wait for our time together tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment