February 5, 2010

Fur

In Korea, I first noticed people wearing fur this late fall. But it didn't hit me how much of an issue it really was. In America, very few, if any, people wear real fur anymore since the Animal Rights groups have taken to the media. Every once in a while you'll see an older person wearing fur, but it's mostly for a status symbol. Showing wealth.

In Korea, it started out being older people who I'd see wearing fur, so I didn't take notice. But by early winter, I could hardly look around in the subway without seeing over 50% of the people wearing some sort of fur either along the hoods of their coats or the lining of their jackets. It DOES look warm, but at what cost? I went to the store to check it out. Ranging from $40-$600 I saw fur coats of all kinds. But the one question I kept thinking was, "Where are they getting all this fur?" It's everywhere!! Yet when you look around, there's absolutely no wildlife in Korea. I've had students stop and point when they see a squirrel telling me it's a "wild animal". Of course, there are lots of birds, but no actual mammals from which to get this fur. Hmm...

I don't really care if people do or don't wear fur. Maybe I should, but I don't think that my bothering about the issue will make people change. Especially in Korea. It's just one of those things you look at, question, and then accept as reality. Kind of like older women pushing you out of the way to get onto the subway first--even when it's empty. Or smelling the "pleasant" odor of kimchi everywhere you go. I actually don't mind those things. I've accepted them as what they are, and things that just won't change. So there's no bother fighting over it.

So I bring all this up because yesterday I had my first run-on with someone questioning my not wearing fur (since it's all the rage!). I admit, my coat isn't very warm, and it is the dead of winter. But I'm not cold as long as I wear the right clothes under it. No problem. I don't really mind--I'm from Minnesota!! I had someone (I won't mention who) come up to me, take hold of my jacket sleeve, and tell me, "You look so cold!! You're not even wearing fur!" As if wearing fur was the only sane way to keep warm :) I didn't take the time to explain that if I was caught wearing fur in the States, I'd be pretty much exiled. But now that I've had time to think things over, maybe getting a fur coat wouldn't be so bad. Not an all-fur one, but one with a fur lining on the inside. No one would even see!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you could try to explain to them and pass your thought to them. People would never know if you don't communicate. Although you cannot change anything, you can at least make them start thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs a fur coat, when you've got the Lord inside to keep you warm. Maybe MOM could give you an extra hug today too. Have fun together...

    ReplyDelete