February 23, 2010

Taekwando


As of yesterday, I've begun taekwando training from a "Grand Master". He is very kind and a little older, so I feel like he has much experience--although he told us today that we were the first people who he's taught in 10 years or so. I felt a little sorry, but he thanked us for helping him get back into it. He does more office work now. But he's still definitely beyond black belt!

So, who is "we"? Chris is a guy from KBU who's offered to help teach/translate for me. He's also a black belt (1st level black belt), so he's been able to give good advice and really help me out. I feel that in 2 days, I've learned more than I would have in 2 weeks if I'd have been in a normal class. But with 2 teachers and only me as a student, it's a nice benefit!! Once the school year starts, I'll be taking classes with another person though at a later time. Master Yu. He's about my age, but he's apparently one of the best spar people Chris has ever seen. And he's also a high level black belt, like the grand master.

What have I learned in 2 days? I've learned the horseback-riding position, punches that go along with that, high kick, front kick, roundhouse kick, and balance (still learning that one). I've learned that I'm many levels lower than some really, really young kids. I sat in on one of their lessons today for a few minutes, and I can't believe how good they are!! Pretty amazing :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your trying something new again & it sure sounds like fun & a good stress relief too.
    Plus you look so cute in your new outfit.
    Love & miss you too, Grandma

    ReplyDelete