November 11, 2009

Overflow of Blessings

I was talking with a student after school yesterday about how good God is in helping us when we need it most. Some may say that things happen by chance and good fortune, but I truly believe that God has a good purpose for everything--good and bad.

This last week was tough for a number of reasons. But God always revives our spirits when we need it most...

Monday: Jamie (my friend who did the nail dying) invited me to meet her parents for dinner. I thought we were going back to their house to eat, but they "kidnapped" me and we drove out of Seoul!! I guess I should back up and tell you that I've met them before, and they're the kindest, most Godly people who I've ever met. Her dad's one of the assistant pastors at their church, and her mom is so generous. Anyways, as we were driving, I couldn't unglue my face from the window. I NEVER get the opportunity to get out of Seoul, let alone in a car! I got to see my favorite mountains: Bukhansan, Suraksan, Buramsan, and Dobongsan. We drove about 45 minutes, and had a wonderful time talking in the car. It felt like being home. I didn't think of myself as a teacher. I didn't think of myself as a foreigner. I only relaxed and joked around with Jamie while making conversation with her parents. It was so comfortable. We finally arrived at our destination, and we were the only ones in the restaurant. It was a really warm atmosphere, and home-like. They brought us out a black circle cut open with orange coming out. It was a pumpkin! They take a green pumpkin, steam it so that the inside is nice and soft, and then fill it with pork that is then steamed inside also. It was amazing!! I don't think I've ever eaten pumpkin out of the rind before...After we were so full we could hardly move, we went out for hot chocolate and coffee. At the beginning of the night, the dad would open and close the van door for me, but when we were leaving from the coffee shop, he just hopped in the driver's seat. Then looked back quickly and apologized. He said something softly in Korean, and Jamie said that he felt like we were both his daughters, and he forgot that I was Jamie's friend. It was one of my favorite memories of the night...

Tuesday: At the Children's Center where I work twice a week, I started to become friends with 2 girls who also work there. They're a little older than me, but not by much. They told me that they want to learn English, and asked for English names. I named them Grace and Joy as fit their personalities. They also gave me a Korean name! Eun Joo. It means "Jesus' grace".

One of the small children ran up to me and gave me a little something that she had made in class that day. Then about 4-5 students ran around me and gave me hugs and wanted to sit on my lap! I love the kids, and it made me so happy to have their little arms around my neck for the first time!!

Also at the Children's Center, the director gave me a big bag full of special surprises. There was an expensive looking box full of Korean rice cakes. There were also some special noodles to make Kimchi Mariguksu (my favorite Korean food that I had told her about). Lastly was some brown powder to make a breakfast drink with. It's a special Korean, 7-grain mixture that is apparently really healthy. When you stir it up in milk, it tastes just like the brown pieces in Lucky Charms. Yummy!
After the Children's Center, I came back to teach one more class, and a student gave me a big bottle of vitamins so that I have more energy and stay healthy.
Today (Wednesday): Today is Pepero Day. Pepero is a cookie stick covered by chocolate, and today is 11-11, so the 1's look like pepero sticks...anyways...people give each other these pepero things to each other. It's a fun holiday completely made up by the Pepero companies.

This morning, I received so many boxes of pepero!! Regular chocolate ones, chocolate filled ones, chocolate with almond pieces on the outside...and it goes on and on...

One student gave me a Christmas wrapped package, and after opening it home, I found that it had not only a cute bag full of pepero, but it also had fancy, warm gloves and "sleep socks". I've been teaching about sleep the last 2 days, and most of my students said that in order to fall asleep, they wear "sleep socks". I had no idea what they were talking about, so I guess this student wanted to help me understand better :) It was soooo sweet and really thoughtful.
Also today, the student who stays after school to talk with me gave me a cd by Tommy Walker (a CCM artist)! I have heard of him, but never really listened to him. Little did I know that he wrote one of my favorite songs: He knows my name.
What an amazing few days I've had. And the week isn't even over yet...I know of a few more blessings to come! Thursday night and Saturday are also going to be good gifts from God. I'll write more when those days are passed. When I have low days, I need to remember these times. God has really, truly blessed me with great students and thoughtful people surrounding me. I hope and pray that I'm as giving and generous to others around me. I'm overwhelmed by the love and generosity of those people around me. It makes me so thankful to know them, and to know that we share a good God who is watching over our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Such nice gifts for a nice teacher. What a surprise. I am so proud of you...Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your blog & the blessing's your receiving-plus you blessing others. God bless...

    ReplyDelete