November 6, 2009

Cafeteria Sights

I've been thinking about the differences of Korea and America in terms of food and social etiquette. It's been a fun little exercise to think about as I eat in the cafeteria each day for lunch and have time to observe many things. I'll share one example of a day not so uncommon. Imagine these things almost every day...

I was sitting down to eat lunch and looking down at my tray to see what was given to me. It was rice with octopus/squid (I couldn't tell which it was) tentacles reaching into the air. At first it was really off-putting, but now I just eat the food leaving the bumpy little legs in a pile at the bottom. After eating what I could, I started people watching...I noticed one of my students (who is about 40 years old) feeding another older man with chopsticks. His friend definitely had the ability to feed himself, but feeding each other delicious food is a symbol of love and friendship.

Earlier that day, before lunch, I was teaching but distracted by a couple of boys touching each others' legs. Both are in their 20's, and one has a girlfriend. One was rubbing the other guy's leg and stomach. It was soooo awkward looking!! I couldn't help but stop teaching and smile at them until I got their attention. They were wrapped up in some discussion apparently about their stomach and legs, and didn't notice my stopping teaching. Finally, one of the other guys in class muttered something to the boys touching each other. They quickly stopped and looked horrified saying, "Not gay! Not gay!!" I know they're not gay, but it was so cute to see them concerned about each other. Where in America could you see two guys care so much about each other that they physically touch each other? Usually even if two guys accidentally touch, they make a big deal about it because they're embarrassed. Not so here! I see guys walking arm in arm all the time!! It's kind of nice to see guys have both a strong and sweet side.

No comments:

Post a Comment