November 11, 2009

Sin and Salvation

It's amazing how when we mess up, God still draws us back to Himself in forgiveness. I've been convicted of not only sin, but the fact that I'm a wretched sinner who returns again and again to my sin. I hate being that way. I want to be more and more like Jesus, but it seems like one step forward produces 2 steps back towards my old sinful self. I guess that's what it means when we're to die daily to our old lives. And nothing we can do on our own can make us become more like Him. It is in drawing near to God that will allow us to reflect His goodness.

I'm reading a book by Watchman Nee, and he wrote how when we are convicted of sin, we know that we cannot face God because of His holiness. He is perfect, and we are not. BUT, dwelling in our weakness will never make us strong. Doing penance will not help us to be holier. God is light, we are called to walk in "the Light", and when we allow God to see our exposed lives He still loves us. He loves us in spite of our sins, not because of anything that we have done, but because of Jesus who took our place of penalty by dying for us. John 1:9 says that by the Blood of Jesus Christ, we can be cleansed from every sin.

What marvelous truth. No matter our sin, God will forgive us if we allow Him. It's nothing good in what we do. It's not in feeling guilty. It's only through Jesus blood that covers our sins that we can have renewed fellowship with God.

Thank you, Jesus, for being my mediator so that I can have communion with Your Father. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment