August 21, 2009

New Friend?

I usually don't eat breakfast, but since I've been waking up early I get hungry at around 9. I hadn't found any cereal at this point, so I've been going to a little kimbap store just outside of the apartment. I love kimbap restaurants because they're simple and affordable. The prices usually only range from 75 cents to 4.50USD. Not too bad.

Well, since my first meal is usually lunch, I have no problem eating the spicy Korean food early. It is a blessing to want to eat lunch earlier in the day, because the stores are much less busy at those times. So I have the owners all to myself :) I've been hoping to build a friendship with at least one of the ladies who work here, and today I talked with one of them!!

She started talking to me in Korean, and I unfortunately had no idea what she was talking about except for hearing the word Korea...So I thought she wanted to know how long I had been here. I got out my little pocket phrasebook, and started searching for the word "day". She laughed when I told her I'd been here for 4 days...Must not have been the right question :) Oh well. I thanked her for the food and told her it was delicious. I had a kimchi and rice stir-fry. Mmm... She got out a little English book that she had written all over in! She's learning English!! I talked to her with the help of the phrasebook and found out her name and told her it was a pleasure to meet her. I think it might be a good tradition to go here a few times a week as well as get to talk to her more. Maybe she'll be willing to teach me some Korean if I help her in her English!! That would be great.

I'm pleased to introduce my new friend: Shin-dong Il

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pics....
    I love the apartment. Simple and small but enough space for you and your things. Much better view than before also. AND the mountains... so close by. ENJOY your day hiking. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, good to know that you are making friends so quickly! Have a good weekend!

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy...catching up on your blog...fantastic to get the pics and read your adventure details. Love ya! Dad...

    ReplyDelete