August 25, 2009

Day 1 and 2

It's been such a different (but great) experience working in a Christian University. I enjoy being with students who desire to pray before and after class. I love seeing the passion for serving God that many of them have. I am honored to know people with such dreams as some of them have.

Even though there are times of confusion and chaos, it is still worth it. This morning I woke up and could hardly pull myself out of bed. I thought, "Wow, if this is how I feel after every day, I don't know if I'll be able to make it for a year." I knocked on my coworkers door to walk with him to work, and he didn't answer. I thought maybe he'd left early without me, so I walked by myself to work. Once I got here, everything was all locked up and eerily quiet. Well...after looking at my watch, I realized that I'd read the time wrong and was there an hour early! I felt so bad then for waking my friend up that I went back to the apartment to go at the correct time. Well, I guess an hour early is better than an hour late ^^

Yesterday we went to chapel, got to sit in the front row on the risers, and the president had us come forward individually and introduced us in Korean. Then we bowed and smiled. My coworker, Za'chary, said I looked really uncomfortable. Probably, becuase the only thing I could think of while up there was how if this were 3 years ago, I would never have done that. Even sitting up front was a little hard. But it was a really great experience too. There are lots of students who go to KBU. The president told me there were over 1000 day students and a few hundred night students!!

As of now, I'm working on putting together a curriculum and refining a syllabus. Yesterday was pretty much just interviewing students to put them into a level. Today we talked about "Favorite Things" It was interesting to help some of them introduce themselves for the first time and to see more advanced students help the ones who needed help.

Just now, one student came into my class saying that she wanted to interview me about my "Favorite Things". It was really fun. We talked for a good 15 minutes or so about her plans for school and challenges she was having. I love that the students are free in their time to be able to spend time talking with us. I really enjoy that.

I think it'll be a good year! Busy, but good.

3 comments:

  1. You have come a long way in three years not only knowing more about yourself but experiencing more about others too. You are a great teacher and I know the students will desire to have you help them even when you are not teaching them. You have a kind, caring, personality that will draw them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Lynn. You really have a kind, caring personality which attract people to be your friends. I already miss you! I would like to talk to you on skype after you settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smokey and Shadow like you when you smell like bacon...maybe that's the same with your students! Have you been cooking breakfast before class?!? :-> Just kidding...I love you and think it's great you are having an influence on your students...this is going to be a job of a life time! Dad...

    ReplyDelete