September 2, 2009

Little Blessings

I've finished one full week of school and am almost done with the 2nd! I've been blessed beyond explanation by my students. They tell me that they pray for me, and I truly believe them. I really want to know how to better pray for them, so I came up with an idea of a "Prayer Box". It's basically the box that my iron came in that is turned inside out with a red ribbon tied around it. There is a slit in the top for them to drop their prayers into and I will pray for them. It's been very good so far, and lots of students have started using it.

Last Friday a few students came in and brought me a makeshift lunch--"fire eggs", milk, and a sandwich! It was really thoughtful.

*Fire eggs are hard-boiled eggs that have been slowly roasted over a fire. So the inside and outside are a golden brown color with a smokey flavor...really good...

Today I had a lot of one-on-one time with random students! I really love to be able to interact with them more personally like that. One student came in early to ask if she could practice her conversation skills with me during lunch sometime. Between classes, a student in an Old Testament overview class (who I didn't know the student/professor) came in and asked for my help. I thought that was really sweet. She probably didn't need my help though ^^ Just wanted to talk. After one of the classes finished, another student (who really struggles with English) stayed after to figure out what I was trying to say. So that was really, really good! He didn't necessarily want to stay at first, but I'm so thankful that he did! It was fun trying to talk about church and school and the class schedule through gestures and my little Korean phrasebook ^^ He has so much to say, but just can't make the words. I'm sure that's frustrating for him--I kow it's hard for me as a teacher!! The last incident today was when I was walking, and a student caught me and said hello. Usually they come up, say hello, and stand there waiting for me to say something, so it's a challenge for me to come up with new conversation each time. Usually I just ask about classes and such. But today we got talking more and talked for probably a good half hour in the stairwell!

Even though I love praying for them, it's hard knowing what they struggle with. I don't want any of them to be burdened with things. But I know that as a human, we each carry different things. Most of their struggles are with being able to finance school or family health issues. Even though I know it's important for me to continue going to school (I was accepted into Hamline's Master's program!), it was really hard for me to pay the tuition online today knowing that that same money could help many of these students tremendously. Something to pray for I guess.

I can't get over what a love for these students God has given me.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the eggs. Maybe we'll have to try them that way someday. Keep up the good work with your students. You are a blessing to them and they to you.

    ReplyDelete