September 2, 2009

God is so good

Today I've sung the song "God is so good" I don't know how many times. Literally!! Down the street, in my apartment, at school...And He is. Today has been such a blessing.

I've had the opportunity to spend quality time with many students today as well as meeting other people. Most of the student stuff is in the blog post below, but after work (after I blogged) I met another group of students where Za'chary and I were for dinner. Then I met one student walking with his YWAM team (I didn't realize that there was a YWAM in Korea...). And another in the subway on the way home!!

After work, I went scouting for trash bags. We really needed some of those, but no one knew where to get them. In the elevator on my way down, I met a guy from Canada who was really nice--short conversation, but it was so good to meet someone who's in my building. In the bottom of the apartment building, there is a little corner store. I didn't find bags there, but walking out, I was chased down by an American girl (Kristin, from Florida) who was really having trouble. I didn't know how to help her, but I tried as best I could. We hung out for a while and talked about where we were from and what we were doing here. Yet another English person in our building that I know of now. She was really thankful I tried to help her, and in return showed me where to find trash bags!!

Overwhelmed by the goodness of the day, I headed back up the elevator to go back to my room and met another English speaking lady. She was from the Philippines and wanted to practice her English. She married a Korean guy, and is living here with him now. Singing "God is so good" in the apartment hallway, I was trying to think of how I could be an encouragement to others tonight yet. So I picked up a small box of chocolate I'd bought just for this next occasion, and went to visit my kimbap restaurant friend. I walked in, and no one was there except for her, so I was really happy. I held out the box of chocolates for her, and smiled saying "Nu-na" which is "older sister"...I thought... :) She said no, no and started laughing. I thought she was saying "no" about the chocolate, so I pushed it more to her. She smiled and said, "Uh-ni" -- "sister". I figured I'd made a mistake and laughed saying "Thank you, sister" correctly this time. Wondering what I'd said wrong, I headed upstairs smiling to myself. Once I got into my room I cracked open the phrasebook and realized that at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been...I'd called her "sister" correctly, but there are 2 words for sister. One is when a man is speaking, and another is when a woman is addressing the other woman. I had portrayed myself as a man!

3 comments:

  1. God is good all the time.....
    What a blessing it is to hear you are finding English speaking people in your building. Trash bags...glad you found some. We are so proud of you and your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an interesting story! I remember that in Japanese there are also different ways for women and men to express the same meaning. Any way, you can communicate with others in Korean! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Amy! Glad you are finding your way around and have students that you really care about...that will make you a great teacher for them! Love ya...

    ReplyDelete