September 26, 2009

Week/end

Almost every day I stayed until 8/9pm talking with students, eating dinner, talking with other teachers, correcting papers, coming up with school plans, etc. All things I really love doing, but I think I need to slow things down a bit this next week.

Korea has a national holiday, Chuseok, coming up this next weekend, and it's a big family. So we get Friday off!! I don't know what I'll do for 3 days, but maybe I'll start writing the midterm exam and try to get into Seoul.

Even though the week was long, it was filled with pretty exciting things. I went out with Jamie and Bible to Mr. Doughnut, a doughnut chain here, and it was fun to be together just hanging out. Then it was Bible's birthday on Thursday, so Jamie brought in a cheesecake, and we sang her a song and drew a cartoon person and flowers on the board. They both sang in chapel this week, so I was really excited to be able to listen to them and see a few other students perform as well.

This weekend I wanted to go hiking, so Daniel (a student of mine) and one of his friends joined me for a climb up Suraksan. We ended up taking a new trail up to the top and it was super easy!! Either I've become a really good climber in the last week (which probably isn't the case) or this will be a great trail to remember for future trips up. At the top we stood up on the highest rock and sat for about an hour just enjoying the view and talking. The way down on the other hand was another story. We took a "wild" trail, which was basically carved by rain water that had run down over the years. Parts of it were almost straight down and we had to slide down on left-over ropes from previous climbers. A little scary, but mostly fun and exciting. It was our adventure that I couldn't duplicate again if I tried...We even saw a squirrel which was pretty cool. Not a ton of wildlife that you see every day.

We topped the night off with some pizza and promises to go hiking again together soon! Pics soon to come (hopefully after getting a stronger internet connection early this week...)!

4 comments:

  1. Amy, You had an exciting week and weekend by the sounds of it. I wish I could have seen your espression on the way down the hiking hill. What an adventure. PS.. nice to visit with you after you blogged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Mr Doughnut! That is a chain in CA that you used to like when we lived there. Remember the Homer Simpson ad for them where he would say "mmm...doughnuts...mmm...doughnuts made me what I am today!" Ha...that was funny. Great stories about your hike and don't forget to talk about the wiener dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I forgot about the dog... :) I'll have to put that in there with the pics. You probably wouldn't have wanted to see my expression on the way down the rock hill!!! I was so scared!! :) But definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, sounds like you really enjoyed your weekend!!! Steven and I were busy searching houses during the weekend. We already had two options to offer next week but it is hard to choose from them. Maybe we will ask your parents for advice :)

    ReplyDelete