September 12, 2009

봉 선 화

Right after school Friday night, Jamie, Bible, and I headed out to grab dinner and go to my apartment to do our nails together. Jamie suggested I take them to the kimbap restaurant where my "euni" works. I was so pleased for them to meet her and to be able to translate a little too!! Her son was there and it was great to be able to "meet" him. He was working, but she introduced us briefly. We each had a different kind of fried rice and shared a little bit. I LOVE the kimchi rice there!!! Of all the food and places I've had/visited in Korea over the last year and 1 month, this is by far one of my favorite places to go. Besides galbi (grilled meat)...nothing can top that ^^

Ok, so after dinner they came up to my room, and while I was getting things together I saw them praying. They said that it's Korean tradition to pray over the person's house when you visit for the first time. I was so honored that they would do that for me.

So now for the surprise that I've been keeping from many of you...bong seung hwa! It's a tradition that many women and children do during this time of year (early, early fall). First you find a special flower ( ) and crush the flower and leafs together. Then add something like salt (you get it at the drugstore to keep the snakes away) which helps the color soak into your skin. Wrap your fingers up in plastic and wait until morning. Then wash off the mixture and you have beautiful nails! The first week or so your fingers are also dyed, but that wears off.

3 comments:

  1. How fun....I did this when I was very young :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe our nails color is maintain for a long time (←I don't know grammer, it is true or not)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I at first thought they were foods...

    ReplyDelete