March 7, 2010

Friends in Korea

From the past:
Elizabeth Charpie: We've known each other since high school when I dated her brother :) She teaches English here in Korea about an hour from me. We're definitely weekend buddies!! I love hanging out with her and seeing Korea together as photo/food/culture explorers. She's one of the biggest blessings to my life here in Korea!
WanSeok: Korean guy who I met in Korea 2 years ago. He was a friend of a friend of a friend. Coming back this year, we're really good friends now and hang out once/twice a month. I met his girlfriend for the first time last week! He works in a glasses store.
Heesung: Korean guy who was at the UofM when I was in Korea 2 years ago. My church hooked us up as friends, and when we were actually in the same country, we met up, hung out, and dated (not anymore though). Great guy, lives about 2 hours south of here. We still hang out some.

Korean Bible University Staff:
Ian: Office Worker. We hang out a lot hiking/eating/talking. I've met his parents who are really sweet. His mom is a really strong, vibrant Christian woman. They've given me lots of kimchi, clothes, and other miscellaneous stuff. Wonderful family who make me feel a part of their family whenever we're together.
Little Tiger: Office Worker. We have a ton of the same likes/dislikes. He's really cool, and I wish he spoke more English so we could communicate more often. He's getting married in April to a really beautiful woman!
Olive: Woman who works in the office. She's invited to me to her house a few times when her husband cooked us food. She's really sweet, and very helpful. She's picked up my dad from the airport and has helped me with difficult work situations.
Robert: Older man who I work with in the English department. He's so caring, and has a gentle spirit. Yet he's not one to be pushed over. He helps me stay strong and stand up for what's right. An encouraging spiritual person in my life.
Za'chary: English co-worker. He's into writing novels, and his life reflects that :) He's usually good at whatever he sets his mind to. He's very eccentric, but caring. We like to eat McDonalds together sometimes :)
Connie: English co-worker. She's Korean-American, and is a bit new to KBU. She's really nice, and a good teacher.

KBU Students:
Daniel: My student from last semester. He stayed after during one of my breaks to practice his English each day. Not only is he a student, but because we talked so much, we became good friends. He went to America in January and has a dream to return there for community college some day. His ultimate goal is to be an ambassador!
Junie: Not my student, but has perfect English. He lived in England for a long time. His family's originally from Jeju Island, Korea, so his accent is very different from anyone who I've ever met here. We've gone hiking together/eaten/done stuff with other students. He's so spiritually minded and God-fearing!!
Jamie: Not my student, but also has good English. She's so great and a wonderful influence in my life here. She's an encouragement and has always been there to listen and offer advice. Her family works at a church in the area, and are also like a family to me. They've taken me out (an hour away in one instance) for dinner and made things for me. I love Jamie like a sister.

Neighborhood:
Korean mom, dad, sister, and brother: They're awesome! I met them one of the first days I was in Korea. They are the shop owners, and work there every day. The mom and dad both call me "ddal" (Korean for daughter) when they see me.
Richard: Guy my age who I meet often in the kimbap shop by coincidence. He thinks I'm his American girlfriend. According to him, not me...Speaks almost no English yet still has a million thoughts he tries to communicate each time we meet.
Uncle Kim: The security guard in my apartment. Really nice :)
Meat Shop Guys: One is Mr. Ri, the other is ?? I don't know his name, but he speaks fluent Japanese. And Korean... :) Not much English from them, but I get smiles and bows each time I pass their shop. They've introduced their families to me, and they're all really great!

Taekwando
:
Chris: KBU student who introduced me to a taekwando studio where I can take lessons. His English is perfect because he lived in the states for a long time.
Jay: Taekwando student who's a few years older than me. He speaks almost perfect English, and I hope will become a good friend. He goes to a Christian University and seems like a really nice guy.
Master Yu: 30 year old group taekwando teacher. He tries hard to speak English, but has very little vocabulary. Really fun guy though.
Grand Master: Really cool older guy who's the taekwando place owner. He gives me special lessons in taekwando when the little kids who I'm taking the class with are doing game time.

3 comments:

  1. Great reminder and summary of the folks in your life Amy...thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good way to keep these memory for future! I should have done this---Friends in US. Then you will be on the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sweet :)Thanks Josie :)You've always been a special friend to me too!!

    ReplyDelete