March 2, 2010

Shadow

Shadow is our dog and has been my sister for the past 15 or so years. I remember one night when I was 7 waking up to noises downstairs, so Holly and I ran down and found a little puppy in a box waiting for us. She slept in a box on our bed until she was old enough to snuggle under the covers with us. She used to love sleeping in the spot where your knees came up to your chest and there was a little nook. I think she liked feeling your stomach move from breathing through the night. Shadow slept with me until I was in about 9th grade and then moved on to Holly's room where she stayed until Holly went to college. We used to dress her up in doll clothes and make her stand up on her hind feet. Poor dog :) During the winter she would get little booties on her feet because if she walked in the snow too long, she would lift her little legs up one at a time and hold them suspended like she was too good for the snow. Really, her feet were just cold. She loved to be blown at and lick the air. But her favorite thing to do was with Holly. I would hold Shadow and pet her really nice, then Holly would come up to Shadow with her hands by her face and say, "Come here, Shadow..." and Shadow would start a little growl that would turn into vicious playing once Holly grabbed her. Haha...Shadow and Holly were buddies. Shadow and I were buddies too, but in a different way. I remember being in grade school and putting Shadow and Smokey on the bed with all my other stuffed animals and telling them about Jesus and how they could go to heaven someday. I remember being so disappointed that Smokey could care less, but happy that Shadow seemed to look into my soul when I talked to her. She was always like that when we talked to her. She was a good dog, and I will miss her. I love you Shadow. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment