March 19, 2010

Students

I was a bit discouraged after the first week of teaching. I hadn't really connected with any of my students, and felt very awkward teaching some of them. HOWEVER, after a fun day yesterday of games and introductions, it feels much better.

One class shared very openly about their life stories about how they became Christians. One girl had a father who was told by a doctor that he had an incurable disease, and after praying, he was healed. Their family became Christians. I know that believing because of healing isn't maybe the "best" way to become a Christian, but it is a start to trust and belief. And I believe that God works to bring people to Himself in a variety of ways.

There are 3 students this semester in my classes from other countries: Cambodia and China. One girl is from Cambodia and was Buddhist. She had an arranged marriage, and the man was a Christian. She came to believe in God too and now wants to be a missionary to Cambodia! It's amazing to hear the different stories of their lives and feel a little more connected to them. I'm blessed again to have great students. They were just a little harder to get to know.

Last night I found juice on sale really cheap, so I got a few big bottles, and shared them with the students in class today. It was fun, and made them feel more comfortable. I told them that they could only have juice if they promised to talk :) They did. Well, most of them...

I started teaching an after-school class for a group of older students and students who are not able to do KBU full-time. I was a little nervous because I heard that there were a lot of them, and that they had very little, if any, English at all. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find out that they spoke pretty good English, and they were eager to learn. It'll be fun to just enjoy being together and having time for "free-talking".

1 comment:

  1. I promise to talk. Give me some juice! :-)

    ReplyDelete