April 7, 2010

Zero Talk --> Deep Talk

After working at the Children's Center today, I had a lunch appointment with the CC manager and Ian (my friend who works in KBU's office). We went for spaghetti lunch, and I sat there the whole time knowing absolutely nothing that was going on except an occasional nod and smile or "Is it good?" Haha ^^ That's my life...

I figured since lunch was free, I should just be happy that I was invited to come along. Afterwards, we were walking back, and we were passing a bunch of clothing stores. Well, I got pulled into one and a sweatshirt thrown on me! Good thing it was a US one!! There were 2 sweatshirts next to each other. One was a Canada one, and the other said Indians across the front with the Cleveland Indians baseball team logo on the sleeve. Yay!! I have a new sweatshirt, and a really generous Children's Center manager ^^

After getting back, I spent 2 hours on the roof garden at school making tests and organizing papers. What a beautiful day it was today! And how blessed I am to have such a nice place to relax and work. There are new magnolia blossoms just blooming now outside, and they're one of the most beautiful flowers here! I love them...

Getting back to my room, a few students came by with hot chocolate and yogurt. Yay! One student came by who's been staying after lately, and he and I talked for a good hour or so about "mission". I found out that it basically means handing out tracts.

Walking down the road in Korea, you might meet 3-5 people each day handing out papers about their church or tracts telling you how to become a Christian. At first it was very awkward since I don't speak Korean, but I got used to it after a while. Anyways, KBU students are required to go out in groups and hand out these papers once a week. He was so surprised to find out that there aren't so many people who do that in the states. Yes, some people hand out tracts, but not like they do here. You can literally look down the street and see at least one person doing this each afternoon. He was curious as to how people knew where to go to church or how people came to know and find out about Jesus. Hmm...I guess they just go to church if they choose to make that initiative of finding one themselves. Maybe since Korea is more of a collective culture it works ok to hand papers out.

2 comments:

  1. You are very good at nodding and smiling so I'm sure the Children's school manager understood. God has given you the gift of listening whether they speak in English or Korean. It would have been terrible if they would have gotten you a Vikings sweatshirt....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your enjoying your new little students & I'm sure their loving having you to teach them..You have a gentle spirit & a loving smile to share. Love You, Grandma

    ReplyDelete