April 1, 2010

Tom

It's great being able to work at a University with people my age. The hard part is that most of students are making big, life-changing decisions that can be hard on them, and consequently on me. I love them each though, and that's part of what makes them special to me. I'm happy they feel comfortable coming to me with their situations.

One student, Tom, was in one of these particular life moments that was troubling to him, and spent a lot of time talking with me about it this last week. I'm thankful that they want to share their problems with me, and want advice. I just hope and pray that I give them the words that God would have them to hear and not just "what I'd do if I were them". After the week was over, he made a decision about school, and we went to Yonsei University to walk around and grab dinner as a "thank you" for my time. It was a beautiful campus, something I'd never seen before in Korea. It was like stepping into Europe for a brief moment. I was so disappointed at not having a camera with me, but hopefully I can find that place again...someday... :)

Even through the pain and joy that the students bring to my attention, I'm so blessed to have them in my life. This last month or 2 has seemingly been endless in my negativity towards Korean people (especially those I meet on the sidewalk/in the subway), and it bothers me that I feel that way. But the moment I step on campus and see the students, my heart melts. I know that this is where God wants me to be. And I know I've said this many times, but I think that saying it again and again helps me be thankful for the precious moments I have been able to experience here.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got a lot of good friends who listen to your advise & I'm sure your a blessing in their lives (even the little ones).
    God bless you as you serve Him....

    ReplyDelete