May 15, 2010

Fears

So far in my life, there are 3 big things that are fears to me...

1. Needles (but mostly the ones taking blood, not giving injections): In Korea, I've had to have my blood taken 3 times!! That's more than I've had done in the last 3 years. But you know what? Slowly but surely, it gets a little easier, and a little easier. In fact, one of the injections was into my hand (not arm), and was miserably painful, but at least I can say that I did it and didn't die ^^

2. Talking on the phone: I have no idea where/when this "fear" came on me...but I absolutely dread having to answer the phone when someone is calling me. And the silly part is that it doesn't matter who it is. It can be a friend or family or whoever, and the feeling is the same. I wonder if part of it comes from having a lot of friends who don't speak English as their first language and it being difficult (if not impossible) to have phone conversations...Hmm...

3. Eating seafood: Ever since I was a kid, I've disliked being in the presence of seafood. Whether I was eating it or someone else was didn't matter. In Korea, there are dead fish being sold everywhere (literally). I only have to walk a block at most from any point in Seoul, and can find someone selling fresh fish, crab, or squid on the back of a pickup truck or in buckets on the ground.

Good news though! For at least 2 of these fears, they are ever decreasing. My needle issue is a lot better! Also, I've eaten seafood 3 times this week and didn't have any issue. It's not that I don't like seafood, it's just the thought of eating a sea animal. Land animals don't seem to bother me, but sea animals do...don't ask...I don't know why. Anyways, on Monday I had fish from the school cafeteria. Not bad, but could only eat one of the pieces. Baby steps, people! On Wednesday, a student was eating lunch with me and begged me to eat one of their oysters. I gave in, because they were paying for lunch, and it was actually really delicious!! Friday, I was a taste tester, and the student cooks had made a special clam to put in their pasta that I was pretty much required to eat. I even took it out of its shell (tentacles and all) and popped it in my mouth. Not my favorite, but I did it without fear!! Yay!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I am so glad that you can eat seafood! Does that mean that I can invite you home to have seafood next time?

    The things that are fears to me: speak in front of a lot of people, go to a funeral and watch terror films alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Josie :) Sure, I'd love to have some seafood at your house sometime. Just not too much...slowly, slowly it's getting better :)

    Speaking in front of people is definitely a hard one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...drawing blood while holding a fork full of fish you're ready to eat while getting a call on the phone...that would scare me too!!! :-> Congrats on moving forward in these areas Amy! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the different kinds of foods in Korea was a big concern for me when you decided to live there, since I knew you were SORTA a fussy eater.
    But congratulation's you've made it..besides fish is good for you too. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete