May 12, 2010

Sports Days

Monday night, Jamie and I met to go bowling after school. It was really great!! It was a huge hige of de-ja-vu being back in the states. It didn't seem too out of the ordinary except that it was almost impossible to find a ball with holes big enough for my fingers... ^^ I'm so thankful for a good friend like Jamie. She's one of the kinds of people who where when we are busy for a long period of time and don't have a chance to meet, it seems just like old times when we do get a chance to meet later on. We can pick up right where we left off without feeling awkward or anything like that.
Top Score!! Yay!!!
Tuesday I played with Ji-Su and Daniel, and another of my previous students. I'd bought a stack of cards that are called Hwatu (flower cards), and we taught ourselves how to play the game. The game played with this deck of cards is called Go-Stop. It's pretty difficult, so we're still trying to figure out that rules. It's fun though, and makes you think. After playing Go-Stop, I had a meeting, and then joined them for a 2 hour game of soccer! They were surprised that I could play with them (being that I'm a girl...) and actually score points on them! Yay, I broke a stereotype!!! ^^

During our time, one of the boys asked me if all Western people had gold hair when they were born, and then dyed it to whatever color they wanted when they were older--just like how all Asians have black hair (he said). Cute :)

Today was Wednesday, and Daniel, Ji-Su, and his girlfriend (Sophie) came by to play cards again. We played for a while, and then decided to have dinner together. It was so nice to go out with them. It felt like we were really friends, and not just hanging out in my classroom. After, we played basketball (I now realize how awful I am at playing this sport...), and I introduced them to nerf football. When I brought out the ball, they had absolutely no idea what it was or what to do with it. We played for a while, and then Ji-su figured out how to do it correctly and completely showed me and Daniel up! He taught us how to better throw it, and 3 hours later, we were all having a blast whipping the ball as hard and far as we could to each other. We had an audience of quite a few people trying to figure out what we were doing with this mysterious, whizzing ball. We asked if they wanted to try, but no one did. At the end of the night, it was dark, so we decided to go home. But not before the boys confessed that this strange, new game was leaps and bounds better than soccer (their number one, favorite sport they play every waking moment of the day)!! They wanted to know where in Korea they could buy such a thing, and I was sad to say I had no idea if they could get one here...I think it'll be something that I leave here for them to have when I go home :)

1 comment:

  1. You must have found a ball with bigger holes, or else you rolled it down; looks like you had a good time. Reminded me of the time when Austin & you did that here in Waupaca. Good job...
    Everyone needs a little fun in their life.
    Love & miss you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete