May 15, 2010

KBU Festival

Korean Universities all have a period of time that they hold school festivals promoting and fund raising for their various clubs and student organizations. KBU had their school festival on Thursday and Friday this last week. We were excited not to have class, but required "fun" times in Korea are usually the opposite of what adult Western people would think of as being fun: AWANA-type games being the center of these events.

However, with an open mind, I went on Thursday expecting just to enjoy being with my students. And it was better than that! I ended up being a judge for an English CCM contest the students had, and even got to speak at the event congratulating all the students for their hard work. It was amazing hearing their voices sing familiar songs with such power and emotion. I was so proud of them all: especially those of them who were my students! Friday I was a judge for a Pasta Contest. The students cooked on burners out on the front lawn, and we judged a tomato, spicy, cream cheese (turned out this was just cream milk and cheese - seperate), Mongolian, and seafood pasta. They were all really good, and it was so much fun to be invited to help in various things throughout the event. I don't think I saw any other real English speakers in the last 4 days, but while this is usually exhausting, I'm energized! The whole event was exciting. It was a blessing and curse knowing so many students though. Haha...I think I bought more food and toothpaste than I wanted or needed! I had such a fun time talking, playing football, playing board games, suntanning, playing ping-pong, having water gun and balloon fights...Of course, they had the AWANA-type games too, but they were at the end of the day on Friday when I was already tired out and gone home.

What a fun time that I'll never forget. No pictures...but that's ok. This long weekend with the students implanted deeper in my mind my love for them, and desire to stay here. This week, the office is supposedly going to tell us what the results of the contract decisions are: whether I stay or go. Either way, I am excited for what God has planned...but I really want to stay... ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment