May 5, 2010

My (real) Birthday - Sunday and Monday

So Sunday was my real birthday, and I received my 2nd cake in the morning after teaching English at KBU Church. After church, I met WanSeok for lunch. We went to the best burger restaurant in Korea - Smokey's Saloon. It has nothing to do with a bar, which is kind of funny because of the name, but whatever...the burgers are amazing! After lunch, we went to Olympic Grand park to have my 3rd cake (the best one of them all!!). On the subway to the park, Kim You-na (Korea's olympic ice skater) fell off the top of the cake, so we ate her. We had the cake at the park, and it was sooooo delicious!! It was raspberry flavored, and very moist. Yum......unlike any other Korean cake I've ever had!! Afterwards, we saw a movie, and I headed home. It was a great day to turn 23 years old ^^
Monday I had a free-day at school. Students were taking midterms, and I'd given mine the week before, so I had one week to sit around and hang out with students. Jamie came by in the morning with 2 little cakes (number 4 and 5). It was so sweet, and she also had a little present for me. Juny came in too, and we sang Happy Birthday together. Juny gave me some chocolates, haha, you can never go wrong with chocolate!! I'm lucky to have such great friends like Jamie and Juny. Later that week, students trickled in with juices and sodas and little candies. It was sweet that they'd remembered my birthday! One student, Daniel, gave me a new Bible (Korean and English)! It's interesting how quickly I've been able to build relationships with some of the students. When they spend just a few minutes staying after to talk with me, it makes a huge difference in how comfortable and confident they are in speaking English later on! Interesting...Later in the week, 4 students came by just to play English games!! They had midterms to study for, but they wanted to spend time with me. Wow! That made me feel really good. Especially since only 1 of them is actually my student. The others are other teachers' students.

No comments:

Post a Comment